Students’ key findings included:
- The amount of waste we measured increased from our last waste audit in 2020.
- Volume increased from 1,676L in 2020 to 3,310L in 2022 (98 per cent)
- Number of items increased from 8,564 in 2020 to 14,520 (70 per cent)
- Weight decreased from 198kg in 2020 to 180kg in 2022 (-9 per cent)
- The proportion of waste that we recycled has improved dramatically
- The amount of waste recycled increased from 19% in 2020 to 5 per cent in 2022
- The amount of waste to landfill decreased from 81% in 2020 to 50 per cent in 2022
- We observed more packaging and cleaning products likely due to responses to the pandemic
- Our strategies to improve our bin system and recycling system have worked.
- Opportunities for improvement include:
- Reduce: using less resources with less packaging, particularly plastics
- Reuse: reusing our resources as much as possible
- Recycle: improving the sorting of our rubbish so more is recycled
- Compost: introducing a composting service.
Congratulations and thanks to all students involved and to our Head of Sustainability Carmelo Fedele.