Saturday 16 February
IGS Notices is for the benefit of the IGS community of staff, students, parents and caregivers, emailed each Wednesday. It includes details which may be legally privileged and confidential, not to be disclosed externally.
- Week 4 and Week 5 Term 1 activities **New**
- Australian Government advice to families on receiving the correct child care subsidy percentage **New**
- Australian Government request for 2019 student addresses
- Explore your new IGS Parent Lounge
- 2019 IGS Key Events Calendar
Urgently seeking families to host Japanese exchange students between 27 February and 17 March **New**
This year we have two more female Japanese students wishing to visit IGS on exchange from our sister school Osaka, Japan, than we have IGS students who have applied to go to Japan. Therefore, we are looking for families willing to host one of these Japanese students so they can also participate in the exchange program this year. The students are 15 and 16 years old and will be in Sydney for three weeks between 27 February and 17 March.
We would be happy to hear from families with children in High School or Primary School. There is no payment for hosting. Please contact Director of Languages Rosalba Genua-Petrović at firstname.lastname@example.org or on 9219 6783 if you are able to assist by hosting a student for either all or some of this period. Your help would be very much appreciated.
Community Learning Program: Youth Mental Health First Aid **New**
IGS is excited to promote informed discussions about parenting and education through the IGS Community Learning Program. The Youth Mental Health First Aid Course is coming up on Saturday 16 and 23 March from 9am to 3pm, for adults working or living with adolescents. The course teaches mental health first aid skills to adults so that can give initial help to young people experiencing mental health problems, those in a mental health crisis, or those in the early stages of a mental illness. Participants must be available for both sessions, please click here to book.
Health alert: Chicken Pox
The School has been advised that a student in the High School has a Chicken Pox infection. The student is currently not at school, however symptoms often don’t show until after the infectious period begins. Indicators can include cold-like symptoms and then a rash. If your child begins to display similar symptoms please seek advice from your doctor and refrain from sending your child to the School. A NSW Health information sheet can be found here.
Clubs and Extracurricular Activities must be finalised on Engage by 11 February
Engage for Activities is up and running. It is the only way that you can join or change an Activity. Up until 11 February, changes will be possible. After 11 February no changes will be possible and charges will be applied. If you are unable to use Engage contact IGS IT. Charges will apply from 11 February, when no further changes will be possible. (NB: Please see notice about Music choices below.)
Thanks for your patience and understanding as we implement Engage.
Deputy Head of High School and Director of Student Activities
Volunteering with IGS
We thank our parent and caregivers who volunteer to help with reading and other activities. If you shared your Working With Children Check (WWCC) details with IGS last year, you do not need to do so again until your WWCC expires. New volunteers must email email@example.com with their name (exactly as it appears on their WWCC), their WWCC number and their date of birth. How to apply for a Volunteers WWCC. Please let the PTF know that you would like to volunteer here.
Drive-by name signs for Kindergarten to Year 6 are ready **New**
The drive-by signs will be distributed to families via home class teachers tomorrow, Thursday 14 February. These name signs help teachers and After Care staff on drive-by duty quickly identify children by their Year group and class. Continued use of your drive-by name sign assists drive-by efficiency and helps maintain a safer environment for our children.
Please read the letter provided by the home class teacher and follow the procedures on the back of the sign. Funds for producing one sign per primary child are provided by the PTF. If you require extra copies of your name sign for other caregivers using the IGS drive-by service, please photocopy your name sign to make extra signs. Alternatively, to order additional professionally printed signs at a cost of $4.50 per sign, please send an email with your child(ren)’s name(s) and the number of extra signs required to firstname.lastname@example.org. There will be a working bee team tomorrow, Thursday 14 February, from 8 to 11am in the Yellow Room on Level 2. If you would like to assist the Traffic Safety Committee please ensure you have registered your WWCC with Reception and pop in to the Yellow Room between 8 to 11am. Your help will be much appreciated.
PTF Traffic Safety Committee Coordinator
- Years 1 to 6 Extracurricular Activities Term 1 information
- Years 1 to 6 Extracurricular Activities Term 1 selections (including Clubs, Drama, Music and Sports)
- Out Of School Hours (OOSH) Care for Kindergarten to Year 6 students
- Kindergarten to Year 6 After Care Booking Form 2019 (Operating hours: 3pm to 6pm)
- 30 January Kindergarten Information Evening
- Stage 1 (Years 1 and 2) Information Night
- Welcome to our Year 2 2019 school year!
- Welcome to Year 3 families 2019
- Welcome to our academic year Stage 3
- Year 5 and 6 Term 1 Sport
High School Musicians
If your child is interested in joining the Sound Lounge Collective would you please encourage them to email to Music Teacher Brendan Gill, including their name and preference for either Wednesday or Thursday afternoon gatherings, from 4 to 5pm. Please ask your child to also include the styles of music they enjoy and what musical activities they would like to undertake. Following this, parents should complete this application form as soon as possible. If you or your child have any further questions, please visit the Music Department on Level 3.
- High School Extracurricular Activities (including Clubs, Drama, Music and Sports) Term 1
- 2019 and 2020 IGS global learning opportunities
- Update on mobile phones and computer games at IGS
- High School Swimming Carnival
- Welcome to Year 8 2019 families
- Welcome to Year 9 2019 families
- Welcome to Year 10 2019 families
- Welcome to Baado House
- Welcome to Bamal House
- Welcome to Gura House
- Welcome to Kuyal House
PTF - General Items
All IGS parents and caregivers are invited to get involved with the IGS Community and volunteer with the PTF.
In 2019 you can:
• be a Year Group Representative (reps promote connections among IGS families in their year group by organising two or three social events during the year)
• support IGS Music at one of the four Music Ensemble Concerts held during the year at the school (for 1.5 to 2 hours)
• help at a Food Stall or Activity Room on International Day on Friday 2 August (for 2 to 3 hours)
• sort lost property items once or twice a term in the morning before school between (7.45am and 9am)
• assist at a recycled uniform sale held at least once a term from (7.30am to 9am)
• assist with student and teacher-led initiatives involving literacy in the Primary Library, STEAM, Sustainability, Traffic Safety or Wellbeing
• join the PTF Committee.
The PTF Committee appreciates that each family has their commitments and only a limited amount of time available to “donate”. There are many volunteering opportunities available in 2019 with varying time commitments. Details are set out in the sign-up form.
If you have any questions contact email@example.com.
Lost property **New**
All lost property for the year has now been sorted and those items with names have been returned to tutors/home class teachers. There are still too many hats, jumpers, drink bottles and lunch boxes without names so if you have lost things, please come and check the lost property area. There are now several Year 7 Camp items in lost property without names so please come and collect your things. Anything without a name in the area for two weeks is donated to second hand uniform or charity.
Please label EVERYTHING.
Lost Property Volunteers
IGS Rainbow Connections Term 1 catch-up
IGS Rainbow Connections is made up of the School’s LGBTI Community. We get together a couple of times a year and have a Facebook group to share information, ideas and navigate the joys of schooling together.
Join us on Sunday 17 March from 4pm at Acre Eatery (Camperdown Commons), 31A Mallett Street Camperdown for a drink or early dinner as suits your family. See more here.
A reminder that all IGS volunteers are required to have up-to-date Working With Children Check clearance. Please see the notice about this in the “whole school” section, above. The PTF Committee appreciates that every family juggles diverse commitments and can only “donate” limited amounts of time. Please let the PTF know you would like to volunteer here.
Find out more about the PTF in the PTF section of the Parent Lounge.
PTF - Notices for Class/Year Groups