The first of Kristy’s two sessions, “From Job Ad to Application”, shared tips on making a cover letter and CV stand out, as well as appropriately addressing application requirements.
Kristy encouraged the senior students to “be proactive” and “seek out opportunities with confidence” to show interest and energy in the particular field, and commented that it’s important to understand the job and organisation before applying, by conducting thorough research.
The second session, “How to Ace an Interview”, focused on the next steps of a job application, preparing students with interview techniques and confidence.
A few pointers to students from the session:
- Be prepared, including mentally, take a notebook into the interview, or have your own theme song to lift you up
- Have a confident handshake, use eye contact and body language
- Volunteer in your chosen field if at first you don’t have the relevant experience, as all experience is valuable
- Promote your “X Factor”, which could be a second or third language and/or an understanding of diversity and inclusion, gained from IGS
- Prepare a short sales pitch to tell them why you want the job
- The more interviews you do, the better you get
- Believe in yourself
- Be gracious even if you don’t get the job, remembering that being invited to interview is still an achievement and great learning opportunity.
IGS thanks Kristy for sharing her wealth of industry experience and knowledge with our students.