Taking part in a musical can be one of the most rewarding and inspiring experiences for a child. The memories generated often last a lifetime.
Following the immense success of Grease in 2019, our 2020 production of Matilda the Musical promises to be one of the highlights of your child’s education at IGS.
Students in Years 4 to 11 during 2020 are invited to audition this term:
- Week 5: Tuesday 25 and Thursday 27 February from 4pm to 7.30pm in K311
- Week 6: Tuesday 3 and Thursday 5 March from 4pm to 7.30pm in K311
- Week 8: CALLBACKS for selected students are scheduled for Thursday 19 March from 4pm.
All students are to bring this completed Matilda audition form (signed by a parent) to their audition.
All audition requirements and materials will be published via Canvas during Week 3. Students are to accept the Canvas audition page when it is sent out via email.
Matilda will be auditioned in groups of 10 actors at a time. Each group audition will last approximately 45 minutes.
The audition will be very fast paced and a lot of fun! At the audition, students will:
SING! the highlighted section from one of the audition songs
ACT! an audition piece handed out to perform on the day… and…
DANCE! a short and simple routine.
Students will also sing a short scale so the Musical Directors can determine their vocal range.
Given we are looking to form a cast of well over 100 students, there will be a range of roles on offer including both chorus, principals and for the first time, an on-stage treble chorus.
Rehearsals will take place on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 4pm to 6.30pm during Terms 2 and 3, with the addition of Sunday from 9am to 1pm in Term 3.
It is likely cast members will be required to attend different rehearsal slots depending on their role in the show. Specific rehearsal times will be outlined in the Statement of Commitment which will be distributed once casting is decided. Attendance at all rehearsals will ensure we produce a musical that everyone can be proud of.
Production week will take place in Week 1 of Term 4, commencing with rehearsals on Friday 9 October (last Friday of holidays) with evening performances on Tuesday 13, Wednesday 14, Friday 16 and Saturday 17 October.
Our amazing production team in 2020 will consist of Peter Adam (Director), Alison Housley and Sarah Travis (Co-Musical Directors), Megan Sampson (Co-Choreographer), Catherine Swinton (Assistant Director) and Peter Mussared (Designer). Our team will also include Co-Choreographer Gezelle Barham. Ms Barham is an internationally acclaimed choreographer who specialises in stunts and pom dancing. We are thrilled she is able to join the team.
This is such an exciting opportunity to be part of something really special in the history of our School.
Please don’t hesitate to contact me on firstname.lastname@example.org If you have any questions or you would like to enquire about audition times.
Audition sign-up on Engage can be accessed from Wednesday 12 February. Please follow the steps below.
1. Log into the Engage Parent Portal.
2. Under your child’s name, click “book activities”.
3. Select the “Matilda Audition” date you would like to book.
4. Open one of the four available time slots and drag and drop across to the right. The green tick will be your confirmation (there is no save button). If your timeslot is not available, this means it is full.
5. If you would like to change to a different time slot, simply remove your current booking by pressing the ‘bin’ icon and select another time. A reminder, only one time slot can be chosen per student.
Looking forward to seeing students at auditions!
Producer and Head of Primary Music
NB: Matilda the Musical is a stage musical based on the 1988 children’s novel of the same name by Roald Dahl. It was adapted by Dennis Kelly, with music and lyrics by Tim Minchin.
“Go the Whole Hog!”